Have you always been curious about essential oils? Now's your chance to give them a go, as today we're sharing 43 fantastic uses for essential oils.
One of the many beauties of essential oils is that they're so easy to use. With such a variety of scents available too, there really is something for everyone.
From giving you glorious skin to making your house smell fresher than ever, discover our great essential oils uses today!
STOP! Before continuing, be sure to sign up to the Expert Home Tips newsletter to get even more home hacks, living tips, competitions and more.
Uses for essential oils - cleaning
1. Fabric spray: add 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda to an empty spray bottle, add 2 cups of water and shake to combine. Add 10 drops of your favourite essential oil, then spray onto fabric.
2. Clean pans: use lemon oil along with hot water to make removing tough, burnt-on food much easier.
3. Add a fresh scent to laundry: give your laundry a fragrant smell by adding 10 drops to your detergent drawer along with your washing powder/liquid.
4. Kill mould: mix 1 teaspoon tea tree oil with 1 cup of water and spray onto the problem area. Leave for 30 minutes then wipe clean.
5. How to get rid of cooking odours: to get rid of cooking smells using essential oils, simmer a pan of water and add a few drops of clove, cinnamon or citrus oils.
6. Wash fruit & veg: use lemon oil and water to remove pesticides and other residues from fresh produce.
7. Homemade all-purpose cleaner: Add 3 drops of lemon oil and 3 drops tea tree oil to a spray bottle, top with warm water and spray onto countertops.
8. Keep your rubbish bin smelling fresh: Add a few drop of lemon and tea tree oil to a ball of cotton wool and place at the bottom of your rubbish bin to combat odours.
9. Make your bathroom smell fresh: Use your favourite essential oils to keep your bathroom smelling fresh. Just add a few drops to the inside of your toilet roll tube.
10. Deodorise shoes: to make a 'stinky shoe spray', add 6 drops peppermint oil, 4 drops tea tree oil, 2 drops eucalyptus oil and 1 drop thyme oil to a small spray bottle and top with water. Spray the essential oil mix into shoes to freshen them.
11. Fresh-smelling vacuum cleaner: add 5-10 drops to your vacuum cleaner bag to keep it smelling fresh.
12. Essential oil uses in the dishwasher: Make your tableware smell lovelier than ever by adding a few drops of lemon essential oils to your tablet drawer.
13. Deodorise your fridge using essential oils: when washing out your fridge, add a few drops of lemon, lime or grapefruit oil to the water to help banish stubborn smells.
14. How to remove sticky substances: deal with oily or sticky substances in a flash by rubbing lemon oil into them with a clean cloth.
15. Using essential oils to refresh your carpet: dirty carpet? Add lavender, lemon or geranium essential oils to bicarbonate of soda, sprinkle onto your carpet, leave for 15 minutes then vacuum clean.
16. How to disinfect your dish sponge: did you know dish sponges are one of the germiest items in the home? You can use lemon essential oils to disinfect yours between uses.
17. Repel spiders using essential oils: good news, spiders hate essential oils! Add 10 drops peppermint oil to a spray bottle of water and spray around windows to repel those eight-legged critters.
Want to get rid of spiders for good? Check out these 15 ways to keep spiders out of the home!
18. How to remove permanent marker: permanent marker is no match for essential oils. Saturate the edge of clean cloth with the oil and rub onto stains to remove them.
19. Disinfect gym wear: add 1 drop melaleuca and 1 drop lavender essential oils to a spray bottle and spritz over your gym mat and bag to wave goodbye to germs.
20. DIY car air freshener: make your car a tranquil, fresh-smelling place to be. Head to Simple Life Mom today and learn how to make your own air freshener using essential oils - it's SO easy!
21. Homemade air diffuser: ran out of reed diffuser liquid? No problem - you can whip up a quick diffusing oil using essential oils. Combine 1/2 cup neutral oil with 30-50 drops of your favourite essential oil. Mix to combine, add to your glass vase, pop your reeds in and you're good to go.
These essential oil uses just keep on coming...
Essential oil uses - for beauty
22. Can essential oils reduce cellulite? Using essential oils can help balance out oestrogen production, which is the hormone that contributes to cellulite and obesity. Find out which essential oils you should use on Essential Oil Benefits.
23. Treat bruises: essential oils have anti-inflammatory properties which make them ideal for treating mild bruises. Apply 1-3 drops of lavender or tea tree oil to the affected area.
24. Slow down hair loss: Rosemary essential oils in particular, can have a very beneficial effect on the rate of hair growth. Add 10 drops of rosemary oil to 3 tsp of olive oil and massage over the scalp. Wrap your head in a towel that has been soaked and rung out in hot water, and leave for 30 minutes before washing out.
25. Essential oil uses as natural perfume: Fancy trying a new scent? Learn how to make a natural, homemade perfume using essential oils on Young Living.
26. Acne facewash: if you suffer from acne, you've probably purchased a product containing tea tree essential oils before. Both antimicrobial and antifungal, it's an extremely gentle but effective treatment for acne. Find more about it, plus how to make a homemade facewash on Draxe.
27. Freshen breath: are you paranoid about smelly breath? You can use peppermint essential oils to make your mouth smell better than ever. After brushing, add a few drops of peppermint oil to your toothbrush, brush your tongue and teeth and rinse to experience incredibly fresh breath.
28. Essential oil body spray: love body sprays? Using essential oils is a cheap and effective way of making your own customised body scent at home. Head over to Happy Healthy Mama and learn how easy it is to make your own today.
29. Homemade skin toner: many high-end skin toners use essential oils. Get the same results without the hefty price tag by making your own at home. Fill a small spray bottle almost to the top with witch hazel. Add 1 /2 teaspoon Vitamin E oil, and 3 drops geranium, cypress and lavender essential oils. Shake to combine, and apply onto clean skin with a cotton wool pad.
30. Essential oils as an antifungal treatment for feet: as essential oils have antifungal properties, they're ideal for treating athlete's foot and other fungal foot conditions. Mix a teaspoon peppermint oil with half a cup of rolled oats, 1/4 cup sea salt and massage into the feet. Repeat twice a day to see an improvement.
31. Tea tree essential oils to treat head lice: head lice are a real nightmare. If you want to banish yours fast and have some tea tree oil lying around, you're in luck. Separate the hair into sections, add tea tree oil to the roots and brush through. Pop on a shower can and leave for half an hour, then brush with a fine-toothed comb to remove lice. Wash, and repeat as necessary.
Essential oils uses for health
32. Natural headache remedy: rub a small amount of lavender essential oils into your temples to experience reduced headache symptoms. Be sure to check out our other natural headache remedies too!
33. Curb food cravings: trying to shed some pounds? Essential oils could be the key to your diet's success. Essential oils help balance the body, mind and soul, providing you with the best mindset in order to succeed. Add 1-2 drops of grapefruit juice to a glass of water and drink as soon as you wake up to boost your metabolism.
34. Sore muscle rub: whether you're an athlete or just work at a desk all day, chances are you've experienced muscle-soreness in your time. Mix a few drops of lavender essential oil into castor oil and massage into sore areas to soothe it.
35. Mint tea: if you're trying to cut back on caffeine, mint tea is a refreshing and healthy alternative. Add a few drops of mint essential oils into a mug of hot water, sit back, sip and relax.
36. Soothe earring holes: if you've worn a pair of earrings that aren't made from quality materials, you may experience some irritation. Tea tree and lavender essential oils can both be used for treating piercings. They have soothing qualities, and can both be applied directly to the skin using a cotton wool pad.
37. Can essential oils reduce anxiety? Essential oils can be extremely calming, and therefore beneficial for anxiety-sufferers. Try rubbing a few drops of rose oil onto wrists or ankles next time you're feeling stressed.
38. Essential oil detox bath: Have you ever taken a detox bath? They're brilliant for balancing hormones, ridding the body of toxins, soothing irritated skin and much more. Sound good? Get the low-down on which essential oils to use in your bath on The Miracle Of Essential Oils.
39. Uses for essential oils in children: a crying, distressed child is both a noisy and unpleasant thing to have to bear witness to - could essential oils be the answer? Placing a few drops of calming essential oils such as lavender, frankincense or cedarwood onto your child's teddy should help soothe them.
40. Lavender oil as a sleep aid: lavender is a natural relaxant, and the perfect addition to your bedtime routine. Add a few drops to your pillow before bed to experience it's calming, sleep-inducing effects. Zzzz.
41. Mosquito repellant: ouch! Keep mosquito bites away from your delicate skin by making Don't Waste The Crumbs' easy mosquito repellant spray.
42. Essential oils uses for sunburnt skin: if you got a bit carried away in the sun and are now suffering the consequences, don't fret. Essential oils can soon help soothe irritated skin and speed up the healing process. Add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil and 1 teaspoon of pure aloe vera to a cup of water. Shake, and spray onto affected areas to experience its extremely cooling effects.
43 Relax and unwind with essential oils: stressed out? There's always time for me time. Essential oils have extremely calming properties and can help you relax when life gets too much. Have a play around with some today and see what works for you!
Are you an avid essential oils user? Share how you love to use them in the comments below.