Big, bold, bushy, beautiful - we all want to know how to get amazing eyebrows!
Gone are the days when a thin, perfectly-groomed lined of hairs was all the rage. These days, when it comes to eyebrows, it's the thicker the better. Today we're going to show you how to get amazing eyebrows, from the tools you need, to the techniques you need to know.
Ready to get wow-brows? Put down your tweezers and let's get started.
How to get amazing eyebrows - The 4 Steps
Getting amazing eyebrows is easier than you think.
Want to know the trick?
Follow The Four Steps below to achieve the full, thick brows you've always dreamed of.
Step 1: How to get thicker eyebrows
Grow them out:
How are you meant to craft yourself perfect eyebrows with just a few sparse hairs to work with?
When it comes to beginning your eyebrows transformation, a 'blank canvas' is the opposite of what you want. For this reason, it's important to give your eyebrows time to grow out to their fuller, former-glory before getting any shaping tools involved.
Give your eyebrows a good six weeks to grow out. We know, they might not look great in the meantime, but we promise, putting up with all those unruly, untidy hairs will be worth it in the long run.
Castor oil for eyebrows:
The growing out process can be timely and frustrating. Luckily, we have a secret product to help speed things up a little.
Want to know how to get thicker eyebrows, fast?
Use castor oil! Apply to the brows area in the evening in an upwards direction to encourage hair growth.
Discover some surprising other uses for castor oil over in our other article
Now your eyebrows are full and thick, you're one step closer to learning how to get amazing eyebrows.
Step 2: How to shape your eyebrows
Step 2 on your mission to learn how to get amazing eyebrows is shaping - arguably the most difficult part of the process. But don't fret - with our tips, you'll be an eyebrow-preening pro in no time at all.
Embrace your eyebrow shape:
Sorry to tell you, but some people are just blessed with naturally glorious eyebrows.
There's no point trying to completely transform your eyebrow into something it is not, and will not, ever be. The key is to embrace your own eyebrows shape - much like natural beauty, it's all about enhancing what you have.
Learning how to shape your eyebrows begins with identifying what kind of eyebrow shape you have, and then working with it. Are they straight, angular, rounded? Do you have lots of even hairs? A monobrow? Are your brows naturally thin? These are all things to consider.
Plan before you pluck:
When it comes to shaping your eyebrows, it's important to plan before you pluck. Having identified your natural eyebrow shape, you'll now be able to choose a realistic, new eyebrow shape to aim for - head over to StyleCaster to pick yours.
When learning how to get amazing eyebrows, it's essential to remember it's always better to under-do your eyebrows than overdo them. You can always pluck more later, but over-plucked brows can't be stuck back on!
Choose the right technique for you:
Waxing, threading, plucking - which eyebrow grooming method will you go for? There are plus-sides and negatives to all three, which we've briefly outlined for you below.
- Waxing: Unless you're seriously skilled (and brave) we'd recommend getting a professional to wax your brows. (A brow wax at a Benefit counter will set you back £15). If you do fancy giving it a go at home, watch the video above first to avoid any mishaps!
Whilst waxing provides great results, it can be damaging. If you have sensitive skin, perhaps it'd be better to consider one of the other options listed below
- How to shape your eyebrows with threading: Eyebrow threading has become immensely popular over the past few years. The results are amazing, and will give you neat and angular brows without a hair out of place.
Similarly to waxing, it can be pretty painful - especially the first few times. However, unlike waxing, it is gentle on the skin. It's similarly priced to waxing too, so definitely an eyebrow-option worth considering.
- How to shape your eyebrows with tweezers: Ah, the good old reliable tweezer. We all have a pair, but are we using them correctly? If you want to know how to get amazing eyebrows, watch the video above to discover the correct way to shape your brows with tweezers.
There are both pros and cons to using tweezers:
- YOU are in control of your own brow's fate.
- It's free (once you've bought the tweezers).
- It's relatively painless.
- Removing every single hair is near impossible.
- You have to DIY - no pampering here!
- It's time-consuming and takes time to master.
Taking the above into account, if you're looking for a reliable, budget-way to groom your brows, tweezers are a great option. They also produce a much more natural look, so if bushy brows are your thing, look no further.
- How to trim your eyebrows: If you want a perfectly polished look, you should also consider trimming your eyebrows
STOP RIGHT THERE!
Before you grab your scissors, watch the video above to make sure you don't cause any damage - no one likes an uneven brow!
Again, whether you choose to trim or not is all down to preference - if you like an angular, polished look, try trimming. If you prefer au-natural, thick, busy-brows, skip the scissors.
- Eyebrow aftercare: Now you've learnt how to shape your eyebrows, it's time for some aftercare.
All that plucking can take its toll on your brows and the delicate skin around them. Calm the skin by applying some facial oil to the area after each brow-session.
Step 3: How to do eyebrow makeup
Now you've learnt how to get thicker eyebrows and how to shape your eyebrows, it's time to learn how to do eyebrow makeup.
A few years ago, eyebrow makeup was unheard of, but now, you can find a selection of eye-brow specific makeup and tools at almost every makeup counter.
Here's what we recommend investing in if you want to get amazing eyebrows.
- How to get amazing eyebrows with a brush: First thing's first - get yourself an eyebrow brush. Eyebrow brushes will enable you to groom your hairs upwards, giving a fuller look. You'll also be able to use the brush to help push hair over any sparse patches.
Additionally, having all the hairs neat will make eyebrow makeup application much easier.
- Brow tint: if you're after a natural, subtle look, consider getting your brows tinted. Although this isn't technically makeup, it will enhance your brows in a similar way.
If you have particularly light brows, tinting is definitely an option worth considering. It also removes the need to spend time filling in your brows each day - if time is of the essence, brow tinting could be worth investing in!
- How to fill in your brows with powder: If you still want to know how to get thicker eyebrows, powder could be the answer you've been looking for. While eyebrow makeup won't physically alter your brows, it will aesthetically change them.
Powder is great for filling in sparse areas of your brow, to give them a thicker, fuller appearance. However, it's all about technique - do it wrong, and you could end up with obviously filled-in, patchy, 'clown' brows, a look to avoid at all costs!
Watch the video above to see how to do eyebrow makeup using shadow, the professional way.
- How to use an eyebrow pencil: Another option when it comes to filling in your brows is an eyebrow pencil. Done right, pencils can mimic hairs to give an extremely natural look.
Eyebrow pencils are much more accurate than their powder counterparts, making this technique particularly useful for those with thinning brows.
Check out the video above to learn the best way to use yours.
- Eyebrow gel: now you know how to do eyebrow makeup, you need to know how to keep it all in place.
An eyebrow gel. These will give your eyebrows the final flourish, not only working to define each hair and give a thicker, more natural appearance, but also keeping them in place throughout the day.
Our favourite is MAC's Pro Longwear Waterproof Brow Set.
How to get amazing eyebrows - Step 4: Maintenance
You've done it - you've finally learnt how to get amazing eyebrows. But we're not quite done with you yet.
It's time to learn how to maintain your perfect brows. Be sure to adhere to the list below to keep your brows looking beautiful for longer:
How often should I...
- Use castor oil: every day.
- Tweezer stray hairs: every 2-3 days.
- Thread/wax: every 3-4 weeks.
- Tint my brows: every 4-6 weeks.
Andddd we're done! This concludes your ultimate guide to getting perfect eyebrows. We hope we've managed to answer all your brow-related questions in the article, but if not, feel free to comment below with any additional questions.