Everyone should have a good, all-purpose cleaner in their kit. They can be used to clean glass, tile, plastic, wood, metal and more (they're best for cleaning off stubborn dirt and stains).
When you're using a cleaning product on that many different surfaces in your home, you'd be right to wonder what's in it. Maybe you have children and pets and you're concerned about them coming into contact with the toxic solutions?
Why not try making your own all-purpose cleaner? It's surprisingly simple.
Homemade all-purpose cleaner recipe
You probably have most of these already!
Ingredients (makes enough for a bottle)
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 cup water
- 6 drops grapefruit essential oils
- 6 drops lemon essential oils
- Add water and vinegar to the bottle, using a funnel to reduce spillages.
- Add your essential oils. You can use any essential oil that you like, but we opted for a combination of lemon and grapefruit.
- Shake to combine.
- Spray directly onto surfaces to clean - no need to dilute.
As water and oil are not the best of friends, you'll notice that after a short while the ingredients separate. Just give the mixture a good shake before each use.
Lemon and grapefruit are great essential oils to use in cleaning products because they have antiviral and antibacterial qualities. They are also fab for cutting through grease and even boost your mood!
WARNING: always be cautious when using new products. This all-purpose cleaner can be used on most surfaces, however, care should be taken. The acidic nature of vinegar could cause damage to some materials.
Always check with the manufacturer, or spot test, before using.
Will you be giving this a try? Let us know in the comments below!