Editor's Note: This post was originally posted in October 2017 and has been completely revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness in October 2019.
We've all dressed-up as a witch at some point for Halloween.
With the only real requirement being a witches hat, it's an easy costume to pull together even at the last minute. It definitely won't be winning any awards for the most imaginative, however.
The history of Halloween Witches
Although we often picture witches as being green-tinged cartoons with over-sized moles on their faces, in the 1500s-1800s, they were seen as very real and very menacing things.
Halloween was initially a time revolving around bonfires, lit to burn Harvest chaff. They later developed the deeper meaning of guiding Cristian souls in purgatory and a means of warding off witchcraft.
We wanted to give the standard plain black witch, with all its rich history, a new lease of life. The challenge of completely transforming a plain witches hat was born!
DIY Decorated Witch Hat
In partnership with Flying Tiger Copenhagen, we decked our witches hat out with glittery spiders, pompoms, cobwebs and golden glitter-glue to make a spookily show-stopping Halloween accessory.
The entire process was fun and easy. The transformation from start to finish took under an hour, and was dry and ready to wear the next day.
Here's how we did it.
- Witch hat
- Glittery pompoms
- Gold glitter glue
- Giant black glitter spiders
- Small orange & black plastic spiders
- UHU glue
1. Take your hat and stuff the inside with scrunched up newspaper.
2. Secure the hat by applying a small strip of masking tape to the back of the hat and attaching to the table. Create double-sided sticky tape, place under the rim at the front of the hat, and press down to secure.
3. Begin to expand the spiderweb and drape it over and around the hat. Aim for a thick web at the bottom, and a sparser web towards the tip of the hat.
4. Apply blobs of UHU at several points under the web, and press in place to attach it to the hat.
5. Apply UHU glue to a large glitter spider, and stick it to the rim of the hat.
6. Begin glueing other, smaller orange and black spiders to the rim and cone of the hat.
7. Add a few larger glitter spiders to the cone of the hat, and fill in some space with smaller spiders.
8. When you are happy with the spiders, move onto the pompoms. Glue them onto the hat, so that they are concentrated and large near the big spider, and smaller and more spaced towards the top of the hat.
9. Finally, add small dollops of glitter glue around the large spider, rim of the hat and up the cone between the spiderweb.
10. Leave to dry. Remove the tape and stuffing.
11. Win the prize for best Halloween disguise!
I think I've fallen in love with the Halloween Witch all over again! What are you dressing up as this year?
Leave a Reply