Do you want to know the best way to clean upholstery? You're in luck, as today we're showing you how to get your soft-furnishings clean with just one, everyday ingredient.
No matter how much care you take to remove shoes and prevent spills, most upholstery and carpets will start to look tired over time. The sheer human traffic, clean or not, is enough to dirty up carpets and dull sofas and leave them looking and smelling anything but fresh.
Learn how to clean a sofa, carpets and upholstered chairs with this quick trick today. They'll look better than ever in no time at all!
Best way to clean upholstery - using bicarbonate of soda!
That's right, bicarbonate of soda is the secret ingredient that's going to get your soft furnishings looking and smelling great again.
Bicarbonate of soda not only neutralises smells, but as you've no doubt witnessed in many of our natural cleaning articles, is also a sensationally powerful, natural cleaner.
Cleaning upholstery with bicarbonate of soda - how it works
What makes bicarbonate of soda such a good household cleaner? Well, bicarbonate of soda has two properties in particular that make it effective for cleaning upholstery:
- Bicarbonate of soda neutralises fabric odours: This neutral, natural product reacts with foul-smelling acidic scents. Unlike air fresheners or fabric sprays, bicarbonate of soda actually absorbs smells in your sofa and carpet, rather than just masking them.
- Bicarbonate of soda is abrasive: Another thing that makes bicarb so effective is its abrasive qualities. It is gentle, yet slightly gritty, which 'exfoliates' stains, helping to lift dirt and debris - ideal for getting deep down into your upholstery.
Best way to clean upholstery - the method
Whether you're cleaning a sofa, carpet, or upholstered chair, the method is the same. All you need is your pot of bicarbonate of soda, and a vacuum.
It's best to do this on a traffic-free day, as the bicarbonate of soda will need some time to do its magic.
- Remove any stubborn marks or stains using diluted dish soap and a clean sponge (be careful not to rub, as this could make stains worse). Blot dry with paper towel.
- If stains remain, you may want to try a specific, shop-bought cleaner. We swear by Vanish Carpet Cleaner for getting even the toughest, trodden-in carpet stains, and Scotchgard Fabric and Upholstery Cleaner for soft-furnishings.
- Vacuum the upholstery using the brush attachment.
- Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda onto the fabric (it may be best to decant the bicarbonate of soda into an empty talcum powder bottle to make this easier).
- Leave to sit for 30 minutes.
- Vacuum over once more, making sure that no white bicarbonate of soda remains.
Bicarbonate of soda does it again! This really is an amazingly quick and easy way to refresh carpets and sofas. Who knew the best way to clean upholstery was hiding in our kitchen cabinets?
Do you have any expert tips for cleaning upholstery you'd like to share with us? Comment below with your tricks!