Spotless, sparkling stainless steel kitchen appliances look so great, don’t they? Unless you’ve just finished a week’s worth of cooking that is.
If you use your kitchen a lot, a shiny, stainless steel sink is probably not something you’ve seen since the day you moved in. In fact, your kitchen that once wouldn’t have looked amiss in Ideal Home magazine is probably unrecognisable now.
The spills and stains from everyday life – and endless cups of tea – slowly build up, making your stainless steel less shiny, and more grimy.
For more amazing cleaning tips just like this one plus great competitions, sign up to the Expert Home Tips newsletter today.
The copper tinged, spaghetti-stained and hard watermarked appliances are a far cry from the sleek stainless steel kitchen you dreamed of owning. Breakfast by breakfast and dinner party by dinner party, your sink gets less and less distinguishable from your matt, grey worktops. Leave it long enough, and you might completely forget what it’s actually meant to look like.
One day, though – perhaps a visit from your extremely finicky Mother looming – you will reach breaking point. You’ll glance down at that once cleaning surface, and wonder what on earth happened.
Before you panic grab for the scourer and start sloshing on the first cleaning product you can find, take a minute to consider the following. Fail to do so, and you could be scrubbing for hours.
The key to getting stainless steel surfaces looking great again is not hours of gruelling cleaning, nor expensive products. In fact, it’s really very simple – go au naturel.
Going for a natural cleaning solution is a great idea for three reasons:
- Natural, home cleaning products are often much, much cheaper than the store-bought equivalent. These products are relatively cheap to make, but their expensive packaging, reputable branding and required profit margins mean the price is hiked up.
- Some of the chemicals in toxic, store-bought products cannot be broken down at treatment plants before being released into waterways. This means they end up in streams, rivers, and the sea. The consequential effects on sea life are devastating, often resulting in the death of many creatures and their habitats.
- Simply put, natural products are much safer than those found on supermarket shelves. Not only do these harsh chemicals irritate skin, but them fumes can cause respiratory problems too. Additionally, if inquisitive little ones are around, digested cleaning products can prove deadly.
Perhaps you’ve never tried natural products before, and don’t know where to start. Well, I have some good news – far from being complicated, natural cleaning products are actually extremely easy to make and use. The suggested method for cleaning stainless steel involves just two ingredients – I’ll put money on the fact you have both of which in your cupboard right now!
So put down your toxic cleaning supplies, take a deep breath, and get ready to transform your stainless steel sink to its former glory. It will be so blindingly bright, you’ll be able to see your satisfied face reflected back at you!
The two, natural secret ingredients to shine stainless steel are…
Our old favourite, baking soda, and table salt – that really is it!
The baking soda will work it’s usual magic, breaking down grime, dirt and stains. It’s the addition of salt, however, that make this combination really special.
Have you ever used an exfoliator? If you have, you’ll know how the small particle gently remove impurities and dry skin from your face, leaving you with a flawless complexion. Well, salt kind of serves the same purpose in your natural stainless steel cleaner. The bicarb acts as the base, reacting with dirt to remove it, and the salt provides friction and scrubbing power.
It’s the combination of the two elements that will get your stainless steel shining brightly.
For an extremely easy application, I’d recommend popping the solution into an old salt or sugar shaker. That way you can easily sprinkle it on your stainless steel surfaces, in whatever form they may be.
How to make your all-natural, stainless steel shining solution
- 340g baking soda
- 170g salt
- salt or sugar dispenser
1.Add baking soda & salt to a jug or bowl & mix with a spoon to combine.
2. Empty contents into your shaker, ensure lid is on & tightly fastened.
3. Wipe stainless steel surface using a wet cloth.
4. Sprinkle powder onto surface, wait for half a minute, then begin to scrub using a firm brush, or soft scourer.
5. Watch in awe as your stainless steel begins to shine once more!
It really is as simple as that. No need for endless scrubbing, sore hands and disappointing results. Just two, all natural, non-toxic ingredients to get your stainless steel shining.
Stainless steel looks so much better when it’s sparkling – I can’t wait to clean mine! Will you be trying this all natural solution too?