Decluttering your home can feel like a mammoth task, but it needn’t be stressful nor time-consuming. These top tips will show you how to de-clutter the easy way, and help create a lovely sense of calm and order in your home.
1. Be realistic and tackle one room at a time. You won’t be able to get through the whole house in just one weekend, so pencil in a day or afternoon to sort through one room or area. If that still sounds too daunting, make it even easier by sifting through one cupboard or drawer first – you’ll soon go with the flow!
2. Organise items into groups with separate bags or boxes. For example -‘Things to bin’, ‘Sell on eBay’, ‘Donate to charity’ and ‘Recycle’. Separate all the clutter and then review each group to make sure you’ve not accidentally binned a family heirloom or had a change of heart on anything.
3. Declare clutter-free zones such as a counter or side cabinet. Clear all non-essential items from it and make a rule that nothing should be places there unless it’s always in use. You want to get to a stage where most flat surfaces are free from clutter so once one space is being kept clear, declare another area a clutter-free zone!
4. Spend 20 minutes a day keeping on top of your clutter. Whether you’re waiting for that takeaway pizza to arrive or have a spare few minutes while your dinner is roasting, file away letters or re-organise a cupboard in that time. It’s amazing how investing small snippets of time add up to a clutter-free home.
5. Keep a ‘Clutter Basket’ in every room and use them to chuck in toys, magazines, and other bits and pieces that don’t usually belong there. Every few days, carry the basket and return the items to where they belong – you could even get the kids involved! Also, it’s worth keeping an eye on where clutter usually builds and work with it not against it. Keep a basket in those clutter hot spots!
6. Adopt the in-out rule if there’s clutter in every corner of your room. For every new item you buy or bring into your home make sure you sell, donate to charity, or pass onto a friend an item you already own. This simple, but effective rule will help you get rid of the items you no longer like or use. Plus, your home won’t be bursting at the seams with unwanted ‘stuff’.
7. Get the whole family to chip in by keeping a large box or bin bag in the shed or garage that they can put in their unwanted item in. Encourage everyone to do it every four weeks or so and then at the end of each month you can decide what to do with it all.
Thanks for reading. Do you have any useful de-cluttering tips of your own?
Tell us in the comments below!